Thursday 8 March 2007

Did I agree to this?

After writing an article on the history of manga for the Institute of Translators and Interpreters' (ITI) Japanese Network (J-NET), I was then asked to give a talk at the IJET 18 conference.

Er, I said. Let me think about it. And while I was thinking about it, I received a form for me to fill in by mid-April with the title of my talk, and an invitation to the IJET 18 presenters mailing list.

Well. Someone certainly wants me to do it. Part of me is pissed off and wants to let them down just to teach them a lesson. Part of me thinks it's quite cool. A rather large percentage of me is going "No! You can barely write a 2,000 word article or a 3,000 word essay after months of research! What are you going to talk about for an hour in front of a hall full of qualified translators? Fool!"

Since I work in the translation industry, as a lowly project manager, I thought I might do something on the state of translation past, present and future... I'll see if I can bribe a few people at work to talk to me, and do some research. Materials for which will be in this blog, of course!

I'll either regret this, or it will be great. Here goes.

No comments: