Friday 13 August 2010

Gotcha!

I thought we were going to have a good old-fashioned Friday the 13th this morning when I opened the fridge and no light came on and the contents were suspiciously covered in condensation and not that cold, but it seems to be working now. Personally, I've usually found Friday 13ths to be a little better than other days, but that may be because you start out with such low expectations for it.

One thing that has not gone right is that the promised letter from the AHV confirming my freelance status has not arrived in the post, so I will now have to apply to the Immigrationsamt for an extension to submit the documents for my residence application, which will further delay my permit. Although I did get my new PostFinance card (with my middle name spelled correctly) and my PIN number, so I can now access my online banking and use my card - himself put the remaining money from the amount I transferred to him last year in the account, so I do have something in it!

The highlight of the whole process - other than the very nice French-speaking member of staff with the same birthday as me who helped me open the account - was a letter to me-the-business, sent by registered post, informing me that I was to pay me-the-self-employed's wages into my personal account.

Other than that, PostFinance have been excellent and I now have everything including my card reader after opening the account on Saturday, and they sent a new card within 2 days after I noticed the spelling mistake. It's normally my first name people get wrong, so that was amusing in and of itself. It was a bit strange that it was only the card and the letter it came attached to though - everything else for the personal account and business account was fine.

Not much else. Weather has been very mixed, some nice sun but some massive downpours. We had a nice BBQ on Friday and the chocolate chili cake turned out very nice. The leftovers were cut into cubes and sent into himself's office where they were rapidly disposed of. I think I'll try a brownie recipe with chili next.

I've almost got my health insurance sorted. It boils down to whether insurer A will give me a rebate on gym membership, which will make them cheaper than insurer B, although A operate a phone-us-before-you-do-anything policy and B operate a family GP system - I prefer the latter, but would really like the gym rebate. Whichever way it goes, it will cost about 160 CHF a month for the compulsory basic insurance (the health service, basically) and 40 for the supplementary (treatment outside of your canton of residence, ambulance transport, search and rescue, and whatever else you'd like).

This weekend is Street Parade in Zurich, so I'm going to try to get out to Burkliplatz to see two DJs playing there. Annoyingly, one is playing at 1pm and the other at 10pm, but it should be interesting to get out and see it anyway. Assuming it doesn't tip it down again.

No comments: