Monday 18 April 2011

Working like a bean

Beans are used in Japanese new year recipes as the word 'mame' means 'hard-working and diligent' as well as 'bean'. We had a very productive day yesterday, stripping down and washing all the mattress and pillow covers, getting everything dry and doing our normal washing, and - in a process started the night before - I cooked budo mame from a recipe at Just Bento.

Those who know me well will undoubtedly be clutching their aching sides and rolling around on the floor laughing, but I also planted some rocket and shiso in little troughs and put them out on the terrace. The only plant that has survived around me so far is a nigh-indestructible money plant I was given on my birthday many years ago as a cutting, which has somehow flourished in the face of - well, me forgetting to water it. It had a transplant into a new, larger pot a few weeks ago and is doing well.

Time to become fully conscious and go and get a watering can...

No comments: