Sunday 1 July 2012

In the gilded cage with the other animals

Right now, I'd be happy if I never saw the palace of Versailles again. I wanted to leave almost as soon as I got in, via a massive queue that ran the length of the courtyard by 9:10am. By the time we got in it was twice as long. Brawny Russian blondes who put their lethal-weapon elbow in your face as they shove in front of you, seeking the perfect shot. American schoolchildren deliberately setting off the motion detector alarms around works of art. (No response at all from the staff.) Chinese tour groups with audioguides glued to their ears who go to move through the space you occupy like you don't exist. I've checked it off, I'm done. I'd go back to the gardens, but that's it.
After all that, we headed to one of Dad's recommended restaurants - kind of. Same restaurant, La Criee, but in the rue Lagrange instead of by Montparnasse Station. (Let's just say I had no desire to go back there either after getting the train to/from Rennes.) Thankfully it's just as good as the Montparnasse branch, and I enjoyed wonderful prawns and sea bream and gratin dauphinois followed by a cafe gourmand. Mais oui.

No comments: