Sunday 10 April 2016

Never mind the EU

Brussels is all about chocolate.

And ageing, epigenetics and the microbiome, which is the official reason why I went there - to attend the presentation of preliminary results from the NU-AGE study. It was wonderful, with far too much information presented in a very short time, and was the first time I've ever trashed my phone battery by taking too many pictures in short succession.

But back to the chocolate! I booked a walking tour on the Wednesday morning as I was travelling back that afternoon. (By train instead of plane due to Brussels Airport still being mostly closed.)

Tributes to the victims of the airport and metro bombings outside the stock exchange.

Cat-themed shop discovered while desperately looking for a power cable or adaptor plug (turns out Belgian sockets are not the same as Swiss ones.)

The beautiful city museum in the gorgeous (and strangely empty) Grand Place.

Meringues. The size of a loaf of bread.

Speculoos!

Someone's been watching Eddie Izard.

I see a lot of mistaken apostrophes, but this is a new one.

Part of the chocolate tour was a workshop where you get to make your own "mendiant" - I'd seen them before, a chocolate base with stuff stuck on it, but never knew they had a name.

Absolutely gorgeous Art Nouveau building, originally a market for English goods and now home to the Musical Instrument Museum.

We picked up our creations at the end of the tour - they almost look professional!

Pimp my eclair.

A lot of reflection off the glass, but basically a chocolate cathedral... this was Planete Chocolat with the second chocolate cathedral I saw that day after the one at Chocopolis.

More chocolate madness, including a carriage on wheels.

A slightly more interesting version of the Mannekin Pis.

And let's not forget that Belgium is the home of the Smurfs (as well as Tintin and many others). There were comic shops everywhere.

More photos to come when I've got through my backlog of Malaga and Zurich Botanical Gardens.


No comments: