Wednesday 6 August 2008

What comes after Pete Tong?

Two and a half days later, I finally finish the massive update that solves the unreliable data problem.

Only for it to break all the things depending on it because neither the project manager nor myself understood how it worked under the bonnet. It's all gone to IT to get yesterday's files restored, leaving people to recreate a day of work. Damn. I wish we had a better system for this. There are some things you just shouldn't use Excel for.

Oh, and the data is still unreliable. I found updates I should have found previously but didn't.

But even more seriously, I got home and was distracted by someone outside repeating and spelling out Z's name and flat number. It was our other co-workers in the building talking to the police - his flat was broken into during the day, new laptop taken.

And it seemed like such a nice area too.

I then realised while tidying up (too distracted to do the study I really should have started on this week, with getting up early and pulling 10-hour days) that I didn't know where my camera was. Desperate, I checked in places that weren't immediately visible and found it - I must have hidden it before going to Sheffield and completely forgotten.

I guess I'll put it back where I found it and take my laptop to work for a few days.

No comments: