Monday 21 July 2008

Fear is the enemy

Monday is over, and it's been really good. We had positive things to say at the feedback session - the modules this year have been really good - and our criticisms were well received. Whether they'll lead to anything is yet to be seen, as they're pretty much the same as last year - rampant disorganisation.

The two tutor-led sessions, on structure of Japanese and English texts and writing letters in Japanese, were excellent - everyone learned something, and the teachers enjoyed them as well. Including the misunderstanding-tutor, who I'm getting on famously with. Phew. It's graduation week, so more on-campus cafes and so on are open this year.

Add to that a nice dinner with lots of fun conversation in both languages (my Japanese is really rusty...) and it's been fantastic. Tomorrow looks good too, with three more language workshops and a library session. Wednesday still looking like the apocalypse. Thursday and Friday are feedback on the mock exams and lots of lectures for the last module, all of which will be useful and informative.

The slight hiccup was on arrival at the halls, when the guy working nights who let me in (by the time he left the room, I knew not only his name but also his course, who he's worked for for the last few years, his country and its political situation...) forgot to give me any of my internet access details and ignored the fact my card didn't work in the outside door. So, when I discovered later that although I had bedding and towels I had no toilet paper, I couldn't go to get any at the 24-hr Tesco around the corner as I would lock myself out. But all sorted out by a slightly irate man at the main office this morning. Turns out it happened to all five of us staying here.

Need to work on my presentation, then review report writing before the session tomorrow. Although I am rather sleepy, and without a source of coffee at the moment. We'll see how long I last.

No comments: