Saturday 12 June 2010

New and old

It's nice to get something off the long-term to-do list. I now have a functioning backup system, and it's bootable to boot. What finally got me to do it? I've decided that I really want to upgrade from OSX Tiger to Snow Leopard. The performance should be better, things may stop supporting Tiger soon as it was two releases ago, I get Boot Camp which means SDL will support me when I run on my Windows partition and I get to use Chrome instead of Firefox. I don't know what has happened to it, but it's become slower and slower and chews up up to 20% of my CPU. So, everything is copied over safely. Twice.

I finally managed to give in my application for my residence permit and registration in the community this week. It will take up to a month to hear back, but can take less time. I successfully registered with the Handelsregisteramt, despite technically not being able to get a notarisation without a permit, and they informed the SVA (national insurance) of my existence. I've filled in the form for them and sent it back with piles of contracts, invoices, etc. to convince them I'm self-employed - it's also missing lots of information like my permit number and bank details. But they wanted a response within the month so this is what I can give them.

Work has been reasonably busy. Well, it's been furiously busy or nothing, as usual. I still need to get used to it. And use some of the downtime to do my accounts and figure out how well I'm actually doing in the grand scheme of things.

I got my official results from the exam board - I passed! So I can now add another MA after my name (MA squared?). And ACIL - Associate Member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists. And I took the final set of training for SDL Trados Studio 2009 on Friday, just have to do the exam now and that's the lot. Other than the Termbase one. It's all professional development.

Right. Now for the rather scary endeavour of upgrading my OS.

1 comment:

liv said...

Like the new look ;)