Wednesday 21 November 2012

Make and do

I didn't just do things over the weekend - I made things! Well, almost. I had some finishing off to do tonight, but I've done the washbag kit I bought in John Lewis in London oh so long ago, and have finished off two of the six coasters from the kit I bought in Japan even longer ago.
The finished washbag, with a ribbon and button closure.

 It's even lined - something I was always convinced would be far more difficult than it actually was (and yes, the lining coming up over the top is a design feature, not just me).

One of the boat coasters, ingeniously made from two square pieces of fabric. So ingenious I've been afraid of the instructions for about two years. 

The pattern calls for beads hung off the ends, but I liked the idea of buttoning up the sides instead. And I just bought loads of buttons the last time I was in Dublin. 

The finishing touches waiting to go on the remaining four boats, some other evening.

So, overall very happy with myself. I'm learning what the sewing machine can and can't do, and getting used to guiding the fabric. I have a few other things I'm looking forward to trying out, including interfacing. It's a brave new world.

No comments: