Saturday 3 April 2010

Matcha!



After tasting so many tasty matcha (powdered green tea used in the tea ceremony) things in Japan - especially the matcha chocolate in Uji - I went and found some recipes online for matcha chocolate cake and ended up finding one for the highly desirable matcha latte as well!

Next step was to find some matcha powder and for that we headed into Zurich to check the wonderland that is the basement food shop in Globus. They had some matcha milk chocolate, which I snapped up. They had matcha powder too - from Uji! - for the exorbitant sum of 37 CHF.

I went to the Nishi Japanese food shop - they were closed, but I could see on their site that they have matcha powder for 13 CHF. I can either go there on Tuesday and get it, or else use the "green tea" mix I was given by Nozaki-sensei which appears to be matcha with added sugar. I can work with that...

[Note: my "green tea" mix appears to be tea with ground brown rice. Not sure how they'll do, but they make a very nice tea!]

No comments: