Monday 28 May 2012

Spin, damn you, spin!

I took a bus out to the port area to go on what is allegedly the world's only ferris wheel on top of a bookshop, kindly assisted by a driver who was on his way back to the nearby bus depot. Other than the driver, we were the only people on the bus the whole way. I saw the wheel from near the station and it looked like it wasn't moving, but I only caught a glimpse of it and convinced myself it wasn't possible to tell with one glance from so far away - they do move very slowly.

Following the off-duty driver's excellent directions (go to the end of this alley - driver stops the bus so I can get a good look at it - and it'll be visible on the left) I got there in no time. Only to find that the opening times I had were for the bookshop, not the ferris wheel. It had closed two hours before I got there and mocked me with its candy-coloured cars and flashing safety lights. No sunset views of the area for me, even though I managed to be there at the right time.

I walked back to the depot, where another very friendly Kotoden driver showed me where to get the bus back to the main station. I may be deluded, but I can't think of anywhere else in the world where I'd feel perfectly happy waiting at a deserted bus stop in front of a bus depot in an industrial port area.

No comments: