Monday 5 November 2007

The last tram

Spent yesterday in Nagoya with Dawn - our usual mix of lunch, shopping and coffee. Bought some Xmas themed cloth and patterns for a Xmas tree and some cloth bowls. Just need to learn to sew now...

There was no room at the inn for my case - all the large lockers were full. After I had hauled my case back up the stairs, the attendant who had been telling everyone the lockers were full started shouting in my direction. I couldn't make out what he was saying, something-customer (何かお客様). It was only when I heard the elderly lady next to me gasp and say 「外人と言った!」("He said 'gaijin'!") that I realised he was talking to me. He had found a medium locker - I didn't care what he called me! It's actually the first time I've heard anyone object to the word 'gaijin', which strictly means 'outsider' and as such is apparently very rude. A controversy best kept with learners of Japanese!

The locker was too small, so I ended up hauling the case around all day. Nice blister on middle finger to show for it, plus making a nuisance of myself in all the shops.

After coffee and cake and buying a bentou, I ran for my train. Jet lag is making me disastrously sleepy from about 6, so really had to concentrate especially when changing trains - ended up going around in circles in Osaka. Arrived in Hiroshima at 10:30 and headed for the streetcar. The first two didn't go to my stop, but the conductor told me to wait for the Number 0. I checked the the timetable as his tram left - there was no 0. But it arrived anyway, old, creaking and juddering. The Lonely Planet thankfully had a list of stops so I could tell where I was between counting my pieces of luggage. Damn jet lag.

Have arrived at the Toho beads park - later!

No comments: