Wednesday 7 May 2008

Party time!

It seems that 7:30pm on a Wednesday is the time to do your laundry.

After heading down to the basement to try to use the washing machine, I found that it was in use with another load piled next to it - and I still don't know if the dryer is fixed. So, after a sandwich I headed off to the laundrette which is a pleasant 10 minutes walk away.

It was packed. I got the last of the 18 washing machines and had to wait about 20 minutes for a dryer as two were on the blink. The pay machine wasn't giving change, so I ended up paying for about 40 minutes in the dryer, a huge Miele professional affair, and everything came out bone dry and so hot you couldn't touch any zips or buttons.

And while is it nice to not have to repeatedly go up and down the stairs and worry about whether the machine is in use, and it costs about the same (when I can get change anyway), I have to say that folding my undies while two men sit beside me singing and drinking beer is not my idea of a fun time. I ended up folding everything else first and creating a barricade of jeans and fleeces between us so I could fold with some privacy...

No comments: