Friday 2 May 2008

Minor miracle

I actually said something unrehearsed in German.

At the post office, I had my practiced lines for 'How much will it cost to send this package to England?' (it was going to Wales, but they don't seem to know where that is) and 'How much will it cost to send this letter to Ireland?' It all went off well and I even understood the numbers. It cost 9.30 Euro, I handed over a 50 Euro bill and then heard myself saying 'I have the 30'.

Wow. My first spontaneous German. Nothing amazing, but a first.

The second minor miracle was when I was nearly at the office - there's a big dual carriageway with signals to cross each one, so you have to wait in the centre for the next light. However, the woman crossing towards me must have seen the light on the far side and thought it was for her - it's the only thing I can think of - because she crossed as three lanes of traffic started moving off and turning left. Somehow, she wasn't hit and nobody crashed into anyone, although there are now some impressive tyre marks on the road. She seemed to have no idea, she just smiled vaguely at the man who nearly hit her.

No comments: