Wednesday 30 April 2008

Use with caution

Had a bit of an unpleasant surprise waiting in my postbox last night - a statement from Deutsche Bank. I have an online/phone account, so they charge for statements. I didn't ask for one. I don't want one. But they sent me one anyway, and if they send me one again they're going to start charging me 2.49 Euro per statement.

Apparently they're sending it to me because I haven't used a statement-printing machine in 6 weeks. Well, that's because I can see my account online. I neither want nor need to print statements. But now I'll have to haul myself up to either the branch one U-bahn stop from the office or the one on the far end of Zeil at least once a month or else they'll send me a statement and charge me for it.

Also, I've been being charged 4.99 Euro every time I withdraw cash. Turns out the 'EC Card' machine (and yes, I have an EC Card) in the supermarket is not linked to Deutsche Bank, and has been merrily charging me without any indication whatsoever. No 'You will be charged x.xx for this transaction. Do you want to proceed?' as you get in cash machines in pubs, betting shops and exhibition centres. Just silently skimming off 4.99 Euro every time.

So, I'll have to walk up to the aforementioned two banks or find one of the three partner banks to avoid this.

All very underhanded, and making UK banking look very good indeed. Did I mention I'm paying to have a current account as well? I don't object to that in theory, but the Euros keep adding up.

No comments: