Sunday 2 March 2008

Gifted

We all have unique gifts. Mine is going the wrong way. More on that later.

Credit card stopped for reasons that are still unclear, flight delayed by 2 hours (although it got in pretty much on time) and taxi driver had no idea where my street was (luckily I have a map) and got lost in a warren of one-way streets before I told him to let me out at right-angles to the street I wanted. That's three.

After finding out how to sort out the credit card and calling Mom to wish her a happy Mothers Day, we headed out very early to get across the road before the marathon kicked in, and were in time to see the first wheelchair racer. Then got a bus from the Oxford Road, walked around until we figured there was nowhere we could go because the marathon route cut us off from the town centre, and ended up having coffee at the station before I got the coach. Despite my pleas, himself refused to hide in the luggage section under the bus.

I had already checked in online, so just dropped my bag and proceeded to find that all of the cash machines were out of order. Went through security and found a working cash machine in the duty free area, and picked up some boxes of choccies (always handy) and a Nintendo magazine, plus a hot chocolate. Then the gate was announced and I headed down. There was no boarding by seat row number, just get on as soon as they said boarding was open. And it was only once we were all on board that they told us about the 2 hour delay due to high winds in Frankfurt. Off we taxied to a remote corner of Heathrow to wait to take off.

The captain and crew were very pleasant, and in the end despite taking off about an hour late we weren't that late arriving. Baggage reclaim was fast, and I called the landlady to say I had arrived. She estimated 30 minutes or so to the flat by taxi, so I decided to do that rather than take the train. The taxi driver didn't know where my street was - I pointed it out to him on the map - didn't put his seat belt on for the first five minutes - despite his dashboard beeping at him - and really scared me when he put his glasses on another five minutes after that.

After getting into town, going right the way along the one-way street we were going to and not being able to find his way back, I got him to let me off as we were crossing it. The landlady's husband was to meet me there, but hadn't shown after 10 minutes so I called her again. Judging by how quickly the light went on in the hall, I think he was instant messaging with her from my room.

Dragged the case up to the third story on some very narrow windy stairs made of slippery stone. Ow. The flat is small but nicely decorated and has everything a short-term stay needs. Pictures are here. I handed over a fee for the internet connection and decided to head out for some food - more on that later, as I really need to leave now for my first day at work!

No comments: