Monday 10 March 2008

Keeping it in the family

I am now a Deutsche Bank customer! Undeterred by G's experience of being turned away because she didn't have an appointment, I turned up as they opened, armed only with some phrases hastily translated on the internet, and despite not having an appointment I was seen shortly by a very nice lady whose English was naturally vastly superior to my German. Fifteen minutes later I was armed with my account details.

I'm getting really annoyed about my lack of German. Must a) study and b) get a more comprehensive language course. I feel like one of those people who annoyed me in Japan, who rely on being a dippy foreigner to get by (and I'm not the only person in the office who feels that way).

Tomorrow, I need to go back - first to get my IBAN number which I need for my invoice, and also to actually put some money in the account as there is a monthly charge and they didn't ask me to put any money in to open it. I also need to top up my phone as a rash of texting over the weekend trying to get everyone to the museums has used up the initial 5 Euro.

Had a lovely Japanese meal today - went with G to a place beside some massive roadworks near Eschenheimer Tor, or the Disney Tower as I like to call it. (See it here.) She had katsu-don and I had tempura-don with mushroom miso soup. Yum yum yum. And we didn't have to worry about our German, as we could order in Japanese. Bliss.

Then it was back to the Irish pub and far more silliness - they really are a great bunch of people. My face hurts from laughing.

No comments: