Tuesday 4 March 2008

Necessary

Honestly, it was the only mug in the supermarket! I need one for work!




Actually started working on something today, which is far better than doing nothing (aka training). I'm editing rather than translating, which is just as fun but in a different way. I enjoy it, which some people don't. Headed out as a team for salad bar and sandwiches in the supermarket at lunchtime. While it's a certain amount of fun to start at 10am, leaving at 6pm is none whatsoever. At the risk of having no-one to walk in with, I'm going to switch to starting at 9am next week.

One thing I do need to do this week is the Anmeldung, or registration of residence. Obligatory even for German citizens and must be done within a week of being in the country if you're not in a hotel. So Zack and I will be at the town hall bright and early (7:30am!) on Friday to try to get that done and back to work before 10am. We still need leases or contracts for the flats to prove we live here though. Haven't figured out if I'm going to get a German bank account or phone yet, let alone how.

But even though all seems to be going swimmingly, I still felt a bit off today, especially going home. But it's the good old stranger in a strange land feeling, which I haven't really had since the early days in Japan (although it did resurface in a fainter form from time to time). Some things are international...

No comments: