Monday 31 March 2008

You know it's Monday when

There were actually some not-so-good bits of the weekend, which I'd completely forgotten about as they were most definitely outweighed by the good bits. We went out on Saturday night to meet a friend of Aodan and Annette's at a pub, he was celebrating the birth of twins. Had a great time chatting with Aodan and a friend of his who is studying Japanese.

But you can still smoke in pubs in Koln. I'd forgotten how absolutely horrible it is to start coughing and rubbing your eyes, wanting to put all your clothes in the wash as soon as you get back (and I was wearing mine the next day) and then to crown it all your hair reeks of stale smoke...

And while I was having my hot chocolate in the museum, a bead came off my necklace - which is a woven one, so it means the thread is broken. I should probably restitch the whole thing... which will be many hours of work, but I suppose it is one of my oldest pieces and I should have taken better care of it.

And for the Monday - I put the clock forward and reset the alarm, but forgot to turn the alarm function on. Woke up 45 mins late. Went to the bank, my contact was busy. Managed to communicate my problem to the non-English speaker at the desk (PIN and part of online banking security received, card and other part of online banking security not received). But then, of course, couldn't understand the reply. A man who spoke English was produced and he explained to me that for reasons best known to themselves Deutsche Post had sent my card back to them, despite delivering the rest. A new one was ordered and I should have it all by the weekend. But I still haven't been paid, so the HR people will look into that.

The washer and drier were finally installed in the building! I had saved up a huge stack of 50 cent coins to use them, but they ended up taking 1 Euro coins. So I hauled myself out to the laundrette, which I'd checked out on the way home on the assumption I still wouldn't have any facilities in the building. It's a massive affair with a change machine, and instructions in English! I was as usual pathetically grateful.

So, for 5 Euros and 2 hours of my time (mainly spent playing Pokemon Blue Rescue Team) I got the washer, powder and conditioner and an immense Miele dryer which had everything bone dry in 30 mins. My pyjamas were even still warm when I got home. While unloading the dryer, I found I was missing two socks - I checked the washing machine and sure enough they were there, wedged into a corner. As I made a face at them, the German woman beside me smiled wryly - the one-legged sock thief obviously exists here too.

Tired, but very happy, and with a cupboard full of clean clothes. There have been worse Mondays.

No comments: