Thursday 24 April 2008

Her story

Finished Unit 5, which is the last distance-learning unit for Social Studies. After this it's the translation (waiting for it to arrive in the post in Reading), seminars at the residential week and essay.

There was some reading material in the course pack that went into mercifully brief detail about how 'comfort women' (a euphemism if ever there was one) were 'recruited' to serve at Japanese army stations during the Asia-Pacific War through WWII. It put me into my own private nightmare for the 40 or so minutes I spent reading it. After closing the coursepack, I felt like the sunny day, colleagues giggling as they sent instant messages and BBC story about banks losing their case on charges were all quite unreal.

(For anyone interested, the text was 'Procurement of Comfort Women and their Lives as Sexual Slaves' by Y. Tanaka, in Japan's Comfort Women: Sexual Slavery and Prostitution during World War II and the US Occupation, London, Routledge 2002)

So, tonight I have to record my presentation and tomorrow it's report writing... I should be grateful for the chance to get all this done in work time, it would have been a really hard slog in the evenings and weekends otherwise. Speaking of which, it's nearly Friday again - I really should plan something. There's a bank holiday Thursday next week too.

After getting out of work on time, I ran up to my flat (No. 32, but actually on the 4th floor) and grabbed some washing and my box of powder, then went down to the basement - to find the machine in use, and unhelpfully it doesn't say how long it has left to go. So, back up again. That's my stairclimbing for the day.

No comments: