Monday 7 April 2008

White out

Even after hearing David's tale of woe about getting back to London (held over Heathrow until fuel ran low because one runway was closed by snow, went to Birmingham to fill the tank, then back to Heathrow and waiting for a gate) I never thought of it snowing here. It had been cold but nowhere near freezing on Sunday night.

So it was with some surprise that I walked out this morning to be greeted by a good 3cm crust of snow on the cars, although it was mostly melting and running off roofs to hit unwary passers-by. I regretted not having my gloves. I spent a good part of the day staring out the windows at the snow being blown around by high winds, although it had calmed down (and mostly melted) by the time I went home.

Good news was that I have been paid, although I'm still waiting for my PIN so I can access the money without going to the bank. The other bit of good news is that the agent for the flats has agreed to bring down the price of our internet access, which was ridiculously high.

Other than that, still trying to get through work for Sheffield. My annotated translation is due end of next week, my presentation topic the week after, and I need to keep on working on the social sciences one as each unit is taking me at least a day to complete. If I don't keep on top of it, I am going to be in trouble...

Had my dashi-iri miso for the first time today - it's miso (fermented soy bean paste) with a fish stock blended into it, making it an instant Japanese soup base. It was absolutely delicious. I think I will be going for this in future...

No comments: